Monday, January 13, 2014

She's So the One by Belle Rose

Anonymous #1 has been waiting in the wings with her recipe, which was to be included in our book, and which was vetoed. She's still smarting, so be on the look- out for a little attitude.

Carthaginian?  What does that even mean?  I had to look it up and I still don’t know.  Just one example of the different styles we had to mesh.  For example, I would never use Carthaginian.  And Anon #3 with the Chick-lit Man. Naked or clothed. What was she thinking?  The Chick-lit man as I recall, was to morph into our handsome hero.  But what a stretch!  Thank God I was able to, as you put it, fire him.  
I don’t mean to carp, Anon #2, but I still think we should have kept the recipes.  It worked for Nora Ephron in Heartburn.  I’m not blaming you.  I honestly don’t remember who lobbied to cut them, but everyone else agreed, except me, Anon #1, whose brilliant idea it was.  And out they went. 
I mean, I am one of the few people in the world outside his family, or perhaps the Family, who had the recipes developed by Cous, chef to the Philly Mafia, the real deal. Author of Angelo Bruno’s last supper. Remember his South Philly restaurant,  Cous’ Little Italy? 
Maybe his most famous was Chicken Sicilian.  After customers went crazy for it, the dish popped up on the menu of every home-style Italian restaurant in the city.  It was major plagiarism, but Cous just shrugged.  Whattayagonna do?  
OK, OK, fans of She’s So the One!  Here it is:

            Chicken Sicilian  (serves four)

4 boneless breasts of chicken [skinless]

8 hot cherry peppers, cleaned and cut in half
½ medium size onion-sliced
1 cup cooked mushrooms
Salt to taste
White pepper to taste
¼ tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. oregano
¼ tsp garlic powder
2 oz oil
½ cup unsalted capers
½ cup dried black olives 
¾ cup butter

Cut chicken into bite sized chunks and sauté in the oil, adding peppers and onions.  When glazed or chicken is done, remove from heat. Discard all grease.  Return to low heat and add all seasoning, olives, capers and mushrooms.  Melt butter over all, until creamy.  If butter separates, add 1 tbs of water and blend well. 

This is written just as Cous gave it to me.  I also have Sausage Genovese.  (That was our little Angel’s fave. Why-oh-why did we cut it?)  I’ve got his Vegetable Soup, Pork Chops with Mushrooms and Peppers and his Spaghetti, Oil, Garlic and Spinach. 

And Tuna Carthaginian.



No comments:

Post a Comment